I am surrounded by loving, caring people...

I am surrounded by loving, caring people...

Monday, February 15, 2010

Eleanor's Eyes ...

February 2010

" The eyes are the mirror of the soul."

Whenever I hear that saying, my friend Eleanor comes to mind.

Eleanor, the free spirited woman with the beautiful long hair, colorful scarves, and comfortable, flowing wardrobe.

Eleanor, the sweet soul who unknowingly gave me a lifetime of wisdom in one brief encounter.

Eleanor, the compassionate woman that gave me the hope to go on, not to give up, and to believe that I will win this fight. 

Eleanor, the beautiful soul with the kind, knowing eyes.

I first met Eleanor on a Thursday, after one of Tom's acupuncture treatments.

She walked into the treatment room with a spring in her step, and her voice full of enthusiasm. After I told her why was there, she shared her story with me while giving me a tui na massage.

I will retell it to the best of my ability...

Eleanor had met Tom several years ago, and he made quite an impact in her life.

A few years back, when Eleanor was working at Boston University in the research department, she noticed that she was having trouble with her eyes. After seeing specialists, she was told the devastating news that she may lose her eyesight. Several procedures later, it appeared nothing was helping. It seemed inevitable that she would be going blind. Her retinas were detaching, and the only hope was to have surgery - but without any guarantees. On the day of her eye surgery, while waiting to be admitted, Eleanor boldly decided not to go through with it, and walked out of the Boston Eye, Ear, and Throat Center, never looking back.

She contacted Tom, and told him of her situation. He agreed to treat her, and she faithfully returned for his treatments, week after week, month after month. After some time, her retina's reattached themselves, and her eyesight was saved...

Eleanor told me this story with such conviction, that it dissolved any doubt and fear that I may have had in foregoing conventional treatments.She explained so matter-of-factly, "You only have a blockage.Once we get rid of that blockage, you'll be fine."

She encouraged me to look towards the future. She cheered me on when I sheepishly told her that I would not be taking chemotherapy or radiation. She assured me that I will overcome this.

 I believed her.

This conversation left quite an impression on me. Up until now, I had not heard of any experiences like Eleanor's first hand. There were different stories of people being healed, but this was the first time I heard it from the actual person. It validated the decision that Dave and I made - not to go down the road of conventional western medicine.

Because of this conversation with Eleanor, I knew in my heart that I would overcome this disease, this blockage.

I remember one Thursday, I was feeling a tiny bit down, concerned about my family. My children and their better halves were very worried  that I was not considering medical treatments. Although they were supporting me, I could see in their eyes that they were frightened ... I mentioned this to Eleanor.

She looked at me straight in the eye, and asked, "What do you feel is right for you? " I told her that I honestly felt that I made the best decision possible, and firmly stood my ground.

She smiled, and said,  "Well there's your answer! You know what you're doing is right. Once your children see that you are healing,they'll be fine with it. Infact, they'll be better than fine ! "

Again, I saw the conviction in her eyes. I knew she was right. Never again did I doubt my decision...

It's been three months now. I feel so much better, my pain has disappeared, my spirits are high, and my primary tumor has diminished by 84% ... I am so overwhelmed!

And Eleanor was right. My children, along with their better halves, jumped right on board with us.

As the weeks go on, I have become more  and more acquainted with Tom's volunteer staff on Thursdays. They are such a great support system. So upbeat, helpful, caring, and always, always cheering me on...

I secretly call them "Tom's Angels". Laura, Monica, and Eleanor...

"Three beautiful women on a mission with Tom to heal the masses, one patient at a time."...

Lovely Laura, with the sweet disposition,  spunky Monica, with the devotion to healing, and...

Eleanor, the beautiful soul with the kind, knowing eyes...


****Eleanor holds a live broadcast Guinea Pig Class every Friday morning at 10:00 EST with her associate and sidekick, Hilary Bender. It's well worth tuning in to!! ***

No comments: