Laura is an Angel in embodiment.
I swear, this woman doesn't have a mean bone in her body, and I am not sure if she even knows how to raise her voice...She's incredible.
I first met Laura at Tom's Haverhill office on a Thursday. I had been going to Tom for acupuncture sessions on Saturdays for a month or so, and I felt like I needed a change.
Saturdays at Tom's office were crazy! So many people, ... I was always amazed at how many people were there. No matter what time of day, it was always hopping ... buzzing with people's conversations ... new clients ... old clients...people asking questions...people buying books...phone ringing...it was crazy !!
So when Peggy suggested I try a Thursday appointment, I was all for it. She told me about a wonderful lady named Laura who ran Thursday's Guinea Pig Class.
There's a Guinea Pig Class in Haverhill on Thursdays? Really...?
I really need to get with the program.
Peggy assured me, " Laura will take good care of you...You'll love her! "
I was a little bit apprehensive at first. Just the thought of going alone, without my 'rock of a husband' Dave, made me feel anxious.
This past summer my health had progressively gotten worse, and I barely had the energy to drive. I knew something was wrong...
Around September, Dave and I began to attend the Guinea Pig Classes in Haverhill. I remember David dragging me there every Saturday... I was in so much pain, and so tired... sometimes I would cry and beg him to let me stay home.. I just didn't want to make the effort...it was too much...
Then I began seeing Tom.
I immediately felt the change in my energy levels. Now I could get out and about on my own...I didn't need Dave to drive me to my acupuncture sessions anymore, and since Saturday appointments were sometimes hard to get...
Thursdays seemed perfect for me.
Peggy scheduled me for a noon appointment. She told me that the Guinea Pig Class was at 8:30 in the morning, and was over at 9:30. She suggested that I might go in for the early class, run some errands, and/or grab a bite to eat and then return for my 12 o'clock appointment.
Did she say 8:30 in the morning??!! Ummm....We'll see.
I arrive in Haverhill just in the nick of time - 12 noon.
I run up the stairs and open the door...
I am I in the right place ??
There was hardly anyone there. Nice peaceful music playing...No hubub,
no buzzing of people talking...no phone ringing...just nice, peaceful music....
I see Tom. We exchange hellos. I walk into the large room...for some reason it looks bigger to me ...
"Hi, you must be Sandra ?"
I am thinking, " What a sweet voice."
I turn around and see a lovely lady...She is fair skinned, has medium length black hair, clear, sparkly eyes, and a warm, inviting smile...
"Hi, I'm Laura."
I think, "She reminds me of Snow White."
I sit down, relax, and exchange a few pleasantries with Laura.
Peggy was right, I really like Laura. She has such a sweet, calming way about her...
I imagine her happily strolling through the forest, birds chirping, cute little forest creatures following, sun shining... her arms stretched out, as she breaks out into a song...
'Okay. Your turn now." It was Tom. He led me into the treatment room.
Tom and I chat a while. I notice that he is not in such a rush, like he usually is on Saturdays. He is actually smiling... I like this... Tom puts the needles in me, shuts off the light, and says, "Now sleep." I hear nothing but the soft melodic music ... Sleep came easy.
After a while, I hear a light knock on the door.
" Hello..."
It's Laura's sweet voice. She quietly comes in. While gently removing the needles, she asks me what I am being treated for. I explain that I believe I have breast cancer, but haven't been officially diagnosed yet. She listens, and seems genuinely concerned. She tells me the points that she will be working on, and warns that it may hurt a little. She is so kind .
The massage was unlike anything I had experienced before. I had Tui Na done to me on Saturdays, but it was never really long enough to enjoy.
I understood...Saturdays were always so busy. I have to say Brian and Peggy did a great job, but time was of the essence, and they couldn't spend too much time on each and every individual.
Laura was able to take her time, and knew where exactly to massage, using just the right pressure. Yes, I really do like Laura...
Now I know why Peggy suggested to come on Thursdays...It's a totally different world...
After Laura was done, she told me about her Thursday morning Guinea Pig Class, and how she would love for me to come.
I thought, " I think she really means it. I will definitely try to come next week."
After a few failed attempts, I finally make it to a Thursday morning Guinea Pig Class .
Once again I rush up the stairs barely making it on time...I open the door, and find a small group of people quietly chatting. It's just about 8:30, and Laura and Tom begin the class. Laura asks the first person in front how they are. They tell her their ailments, and she begins tapping in a slow rythmic motion...almost hypnotic... her sweet voice calling out the points ...
I notice that Laura and Tom are in perfect sync tapping away... ailment after ailment ... tap ... tap... tap ... so calm... so soothing...so healing... I feel so centered...
I decide that I like being in ' Laura Land'. A place that I can find inner peace ...
After the Guinea Pig Class I run out to do some errands, and plan to return later for my appointment.
I feel so energized! I haven't felt this way in a while...
When I returned to Haverhill, Tom took me right in. We chatted a bit, and I ask
him if he thinks extra Tui Na massage sessions would do me good .
"Of course, " he says, " Of course! "
I ask if he knew of anyone, and he suggested Laura.
Laura ?..."Snow White" Laura ???
Cool !!!
After my session I approach Laura and ask her if she does Tui Na massages. She confirmed that she did, and asked if I would like to make an appointment. Of course I did, so she scheduled me for the following Wednesday.
I asked where she was located, and was very surprised when she said that she lived in a small cottage in the deep, deep forest, with seven little dwarfs...
No, not really.
She told me that her office was in her home, and it was located in Boxford.
Boxford? Where is that? I decided that I would mapquest the address when I got home...
Wednesday came, and I was very excited that I was going for my very first full Tui Na massage that afternoon. I heard from a number of people in the Ginea Pig Classes how wonderful they were and how much they benefitted from them. So I was psyched...
It took 45 mins.to get to Laura's... I was a little bit lost, but I finally found it. Surprisingly, I made it on time.
I chuckled to myself as I got closer to Laura's home... She actually did live in an out of the way place in Boxford . Although it wasn't in the deep deep forest, it is surrounded by beautiful homes in a peaceful and quiet neighborhood...
I pull up to Laura's home. I didn't want to pull into the driveway because it was quite long, and I have a conversion van that I can't back up very well...so I park my van and briskly walk up the long driveway...
There were two doors. The front door, and a side door, I wasn't sure where to go. I decided to peek into the side door window... I see a cute little man ,with some other people, sitting around a table. It looks like
they are having a tea party...
How quaint!...
But am I in the right place? Am peeking into the wrong home?!
The cute little man sees me peeking in, and comes to the door. I am embarrassed...not sure what to say..
"Are you looking for Laura?"
"Yes !" I am so relieved that I was peeking into the right home.
"Come on in, She'll be right here."
He's so sweet. Now I know where Laura gets her sweet disposition from...
I come in and am introduced to Laura's mother, her aunt and uncle, and the sweet little man who answered the door is her dad. Such a lovely family!
Laura came down from the upstairs.The cute little tea party group excused themselves and went upstairs...
Laura's office is not like an office at all.It's more like a reception area in a nice hotel...nice cushy white chairs, glass doors looking out to a beautifully manicured yard...beyond her private yard is a patch of woods...I look out and swear I see a deer...
Yes, this looks like a place where Snow White would live.
"Hi Sandra ! Come, sit down..."
I sink into one of the white cushy chairs...nice.
Laura offers me a cup of tea...I accept.
She pours some herbal tea into a fine china teacup. I notice that it matches the teapot...Wow, is this woman for real ?? She's just too good to be true.
Laura and I discuss my illness. I tell her that I have been officially diagnosed by Dr. Daly. She seems pleased that I have him as my PCP . She speaks highly of him. I ask her about Tom, and she can't say enough about him. She becomes animated. I can see that she totally respects Tom, and it is obvious that she is a firm believer of Tong Ren.
I decide that I like her even more ...
Laura begins to tap for me. I can feel the familar warmth envelop me. It feels very soothing ... so relaxing ... I feel inner peace... Yes, I like visiting Laura Land ...
After the tapping, Laura hands me a hospital johnny and shows me the restroom where I can change.
I come out, she asks me to sit on an upright chair, and begins to massage my neck and shoulders...ahhhh.
I definitely need loosening there ! Laura asks if it hurts. I tell her it is a little bit painful, but in a good way. She smiles and continues...it feels sooo nice...
After working on my shoulders and neck, Laura leads me to a curtained off area. That is where the massage table is. It is covered in fresh sheets, small pillows and a soft blanket...wow... I am impressed ... I like this...
I jump up on the table, and lie face down. Laura adjusts the pillows under my legs, covers me with the soft blanket, makes sure that I am comfortable, and the massage begins...
Laura's hands are magical. They give the right pressure in just the right spots... She speaks softly while giving the massage. I ask her some questions about herself, and she answers them freely...
I feel that we can become good friends ... I look forward to getting to know her better.
Laura continues to massage my back... I believe that I can actually feel the healing taking place...I feel a slight steady burning sensation in my left breast, right where the tumor is. It's not uncomfortable at all. In fact it's comforting to me... I envision my tumor slowly dissolving from the energy healing ...the ' chi '...
I feel a tiny bit sad when the session comes to an end. I have never felt so calm, so relaxed, so centered.
I decide that I definitely need to do this every week, so I schedule another appointment with Laura.
Before I leave, I give Laura a big hug and thank her for the Tui Na session. I wonder if she knows how much she is helping me, both physically and emotionally. I want to tell her how much I appreciate her , but she seems so humble and modest ... just like Tom . So I don't say anything - I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable. One day I will tell her.
As I drive away, I look into my rear view mirror, and see a few squirrels dancing around in Snow White's, oops, I mean Laura's front yard...
I smile.
I can't wait to visit Laura Land again....
***Update***
On Dec 11, 2009, just a few weeks after my first appointment with Laura, I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Daly...
Dave, my children, and I were were elated to find out that my tumor had shrunk 40% in a little over a month's time! The only treatments I did were Guinea Pig Classes, Tom's acupuncture, and Laura's Tui Na. I am forever grateful to all of the people who are helping me fight this hideous disease.
I am especially grateful to Tom and Laura ...
I am especially grateful to Tom and Laura ...
They hold a very special place in my heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment