February 2010
Here we are, at my favorite Doctor's office again...Dr. Bill Daly.
I have decided that I like him even though he is a medical doctor. It's funny, how many 'Bills' there are in my life... the tenant that recently moved into our basement apartment is Bill, My dear friend that I met at Martha's Vineyard is Dr. Bill Dymond ( a Dr. of alternative medicine ) and now Dr. Bill Daly. I wonder if that means anything ...?
Dr. Daly is not your typical M.D. Dave and I first met him at a Tong Ren Guinea Pig Class. My concerned husband had asked if anyone could refer us to a doctor that could officially diagnose me in a non invasive way, and be open to alternative medicine. Dr Daly was right there, up in front of the class tapping away, when Tom Tam pointed to him and said "Talk to him!"...
And so we did, and here we are...
At first I wasn't too sure about this guy with the infectious smile and quiet ways. He was too likable...I have never met a doctor that I actually liked. However after our first visit, and the fact that he didn't mention my dirty ears, I decided that he was okay in my book.
This is our third visit here.We are keeping an eye on the primary tumor in my left breast. After being diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer on Nov. 3, Dave and I decided to forego the conventional treatments of chemo therapy and radiation. I would only do energy healing via Tong Ren, Tui Na, and Acupuncture, along with some occasional chinese herbs and teas, and continue taking Pro Argi9. Dave and I knew this would sound crazy to most people, never mind most doctors...but Dr. Daly totally understood and had agreed to closely moniter my condition. Yes, he is an amazing man - I really do like him !
The first official visit was awkward for me. Seriously, it's such a weird concept...
I barely know this guy, and I have to tell him my most personal secrets...like...
weight, height, last time I had my monthly cycle, how my sex life is, and by the way, unhook your bra and let me feel your breast...
Okay, that's not exactly how it went, but you get the picture...
After getting through the awkward stage of my first visit (the examination part- which by the way I was surprisingly okay with), Dr. Daly sat down with us and announced that it was definitely cancer. Shocking to say the least...but, he was so calm and understanding...so much infact ,that I was able to remain calm and rationalize in my head that this was not a death sentence. No fears, no tears... we all just immediately went to...
" Okay, what's the plan?"
Dr. Daly suggested this basic plan:
Since we are not going to do the standard treatment of chemo, radiation or any other type of western medicine, there is no need to go to an oncologist at this time. However we did need to determine if the cancer had spread, so he suggested blood tests, chest X rays, and CAT scans on my upper torso and head. The head scan was to make sure that it hadn't spread to the brain, since I was experiencing constant headaches, and occasional floaters in my peripheral vision.
Brain cancer ?! Really...
Also, I should be seeing him initially at least once a month, to determine if indeed the energy healing was working, and the tumor was shrinking. We also needed to agree on how much time we would give the healing process to take place, before we decided to change courses and seek other treatments, if need be.
And last but not least...If I wanted to see results, I needed to attack this aggressively with the energy healing. Go to as many Guinea Pig Classes as possible, in person, or online. Tap the doll regularly, and if possible, have weekly tui na and acupuncture treatments (okay, I admit the tui na massages and acupuncture treatments were really my suggestions, not his - I really like them...)
So that was the plan in a nutshell.. That appointment was in the middle of October. Before we left the office, Sue, Dr. Daly's lovely receptionist assured me that she would arrange the appointments for the CAT scans and chest X-rays ASAP, and she would give me a call tomorrow.
The following day I recieved a call from Sue and she gave me the date and times for the CAT scans and X-rays.I was impressed at how quickly she had done this. I was scheduled at Lawrence General Hospital at the end of the last week in October.I could have my blood test taken the same day, since that is a walk-in service, and you don't need an appointment.
Cool.
Surprisingly the CAT scans and X-rays were relatively easy. I had never done a CAT scan before, so I was apprehensive, but Dave was with me throughout it all, and it was nice.We sat together while waiting, talking, joking, laughing... anything to take our minds off of why we were there...
Two days after the tests, Dr. Daly called and announced that he had some good news, and some not so good news.
I thought , " Great! It was all a mistake. It's not cancer."
WRONG.
The good news : My bloodwork was amazingly normal. No cancer in the brain- that scan was clean. The cancer had not spread to the bone, which was another concern of his (but failed to mention-thank goodness).
The bad news: The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes and is creeping into the lungs.
I set up an appointment to meet with Dr. Daly that following week, Nov 3.
On Nov 3, I was officially diagnosed. Stage 4 breast cancer into lymph nodes and lungs...I know that by heart now, because that is what I say at every Guinea Pig Class, and what I type in on the keyboard at every live online broadcast that I tune in to. Sometimes I feel like I am at an AA meeting...( not that I have ever attended one )
" Hello, my name is Sandra. I have stage 4 breast cancer, into lymph nodes and lungs."
Hey, if it helps heal my cancer...
Back to Dr. Daly...
November 3, 2009. Did our routine check up : Weight- eh. BP: high - but he said it was okay, since I am dealing with this diagnosis, it's absolutely normal to be stressed out like this (gee, ya think ?)
Lungs: normal. Heart: normal.
Okay, here comes the awkward part... the measuring of the tumor...
tumor size : 6 x 11 cm 396cc
I look at Dave and ask," Is that big? "
He tries to look calm (but I know better), and says, " Well, yeah, it's big but, not huge."
He's so sweet, I love him...
We tell Dr.Daly that we will stick to the original plan and continue with the energy healing for at least 4 months. Being the wonderful doctor that he is, he smiles, gives us his support, and asks us if we have anymore questions. I think, and contemplate if I should ask how much time the average person has left with this condition...
A little voice in my head screams, "NO! Don't even think about it!"
So I say, "No, I'm all set."
Dave agrees, and much to my relief, the second visit with Dr. Daly is over.
I decide then and there that this would be the last appointment where there would be bad news...from now on only good news...
I will beat this thing.
Dec 11, 2009
First follow up visit since my official diagnosis.
My children, God love them, insisted on accompanying us with this visit.I was NERVOUS to say the least.
This was a big deal. We would see if the energy healing was working, and decide if we would stay on track. Brandon, Jane, Tiana, and Sean were all concerned about my decision to forego the medical route. They supported me, but were very concerned, and I understood that.
Tiana actually came to some Saturday Guinea Pig classes with me, and is now tapping the doll whenever she can. Brandon attended a Sunday class with us. He is supportive as well, but also nervous about the results... Brandon is expecting his first biological child with his love, Jane. Jane, is very supportive also, but I know that she is extremely concerned. She was a Vet Tech, and also has a handicapped daughter, Beautiful Baby Sarah. So she is very familiar with diseases and how they are treated. I am sure that she thinks I am a "crazy lady". Then there's Sean, Tiana's love. I know he looks up everything online and takes things to heart. He doesn't say much, but I know he is concerned. I love them all, and feel so lucky to have them in my life...
Dave and I enter the waiting room, and Tiana and Sean are already there. Damn, they're always on time! Brandon and Jane are running a little bit late- I guess he takes after his Dad and I, but that's okay because I have to be examined first before they can come into the office for the consultation part.
Dr. Daly comes out to the waiting room and greets us. Lucky for him I warned him of our children wanting to accompany us this time, and how he would be in the 'hot seat'. We exchange hellos and I introduce him to Tiana and Sean. Dave and I follow the good Doctor into the exam room and make small talk. I smile, make a few silly comments , but really want to jump up and say, "Let's get the show on the road! Put on your gloves, and measure this tumor!"
However, small talk is nice...I really like Dr. Daly...he has such a calm way about him, and is always smiling...yes, I like him. Sue, the lovely receptionist taps on the door and announces that the rest of 'the gang' was here. I am happy, now we can get to business...
He begins the routine exam.Weight: "hmm, lost a little bit-that's always nice." BP: "a little high-but that's expected with the family being here and all" (he's so nice) Lungs: normal. Heart: normal.
And now for the "Big Reveal"...
He checks my tumor. He looks like he's frowning...is he frowning? This can't be good...I see a smile emerging...That's definitely a smile...
"This has definitely gotten smaller..let me check again.."
I can see him mentally measuring...he stops, goes to wash his hands and says,"It definitely has shrunk."
What ?.. Seriously?.. Are you sure?..
YIPPPEEE!!!
What happened from there on is kind of a blur to me...I remember having the kids come in, Dave asking Dr Daly to tell them the goods news...Hearing everyone give a huge sigh of relief...Seeing poor Dr. Daly sitting at his desk being bombarded with questions...and me just sitting there floating in a total state of nirvana...
So this is what nirvana feels like...I like it...
Tumor measurement update:
Nov. 3, 2009 : 6 x 11 cm - 396 cc
Dec. 11, 2009: 5 x 9 cm - 225 cc
In a little bit over a month's time, my tumor diminished by 40 %
No chemo, no radiation, no surgery
February 5, 2010
This is my second follow up visit since my official diagnosis. I am nervous. It's been almost two months since our last one, and during the holiday season I was not as strict with my diet as I had been before my last visit. Tom, whom I consider a ' Master ' had been telling me that a strict alkaline diet is "not good-you need your meat and sugars." Needless to say...I was being "Tom Tam good" during the holiday season. Now, it's way past the holiday season, and I am questioning my decision to be "Tom Tam good". I should know better...
My original appointment with Dr Daly was at the end of January, but I decided to cancel because of circumstances. With company arriving, (Dr. Bill from Dominican) the kid's schedules ,(they wanted to accompany us) and the fact that I was hoping to shed some of this holiday weight before I weighed in again (silly, I know)... I felt if I held off a week, it would be less stressful for me.
I discussed it with Dr Daly at a Guinea Pig Class, and he was so sweet about it. He assured me that it was no big deal, to just make sure that I reschedule it very soon. So I called Sue that following Monday, and she scheduled me for Feb. 5.
So here we are again. Of course Tiana and Sean were already there waiting.We were 10 minutes late.Sue informed me that Tiana had told her it was normal for us to be late. Cute kid. I will deal with her later...*evil smile*...
Sean came in his overalls and had his hair pulled back...he looked more like a farmer than an employee of HP...I love this kid! Tiana looked adorable with her new hair cut. After two years of growing it out, she recently had it cut and donated it to 'Locks of Love' for cancer patients. This is her second time doing it. Too sweet...Sean is almost ready to donate his - yes, he is doing that as well. What great kids we have! Brandon was still at his job in Andover, and would be joining as soon as he could. He has been working so hard lately so he can take some time off of work after Baby Christian is born. I am so proud of him. Jane, unfortunately couldn't make it this time. She is in the final weeks of her pregnancy, and had to stay home with Baby Sarah, I am relieved that she stayed home. I saw her yesterday, and she looked uncomfortable and tired...but still adorable... I am sure she can't wait for the baby to arrive... and neither can I !
Dr. Daly takes us right in. We exchange some pleasantries, and he begins to ask the usual questions. Any unusual pain? No. Any coughing up of mucus or blood? No.Any headaches, blurred vision? No...No...No..Nothing new and exciting to speak of...
The exam begins...
Weight: (I close my eyes, and peek with one) Hey! No weight gain! No weight loss...but that's okay!...
BP: a little bit high...he says it's okay considering...
Sue taps on the door, Dr. Daly needs to take a call...
Dave and I discuss how much higher my BP is all the time in the office compared to the BP I have when I take it at home with machine we have. Dr. Daly returns, and I ask if we can do it again. He smiles, and agrees to do it again. It is a little bit lower, but not much...Damn! One of these days, it will read normal...I swear.
Lungs: normal Heart: normal
Now it's time for the big one... the tumor measurement.
I am nervous. I don't think it will be much of a change, if any...
Dr. Daly immediately states that it has shrunk quite a bit.
"Really?!"
He concentrates, measures, and exclaims , "The damn thing is disappearing!"
"Really?!!"
I am totally amazed, and so is David. God Bless Tom Tam and his Tong Ren Therapy!
Dave gathers the kids while Dr. Daly and I discuss the measurements. Brandon has not arrived yet, but is on his way. Dr Daly calculates and announces how much the tumor has shrunk - 84% !!
All of our jaws drop.
84% ??!!
I am speechless. That means that 16% of the tumor is left - it has diminished by 84%!!!
Unbelievable!!
At this point Sean discovers his voice and asks Dr. Daly some questions. I am not sure what. I , once again, am in a state of nirvana...
I remember at some point Brandon arrived. I think I tell him the good news, I am not sure...I do know that he kisses me, and he is very happy. All I can think of is ...
84%!! ...84%!!... 84% !!!!
Thank you Tom, Laura, Monica, Eleanore, and all of the Tong Ren Tappers...
"We may be crazy, but we are not stupid"
A special thank you to Dr. Bill Daly.
Thank you for taking me on as a patient, and understanding the benefits of Tong Ren Therapy.
"Yes, I do like my Doctor... I think I'll keep him..."
Upate on tumor measurements;
Nov 3, 2009 : 6 x6 x 11 cm 396cc
Dec 11, 2009 : 5 x 5 x 9 cm 225 cc
Feb 5, 2010: 3 x 3 x 7 cm 63 cc
April 13, 2010: 2 x 2 x 7cm 28 cc*
In three month's time, my tumor has diminished 84%
No chemo, no radiation, no surgery.
*Update April 13th 2010
After seeing Dr Daly and having my primary tumor measured, just 7% of it remains ! 93% diminished-all this in just 5 short months!!!
God Bless Tom Tam ~!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment